So I was introduced to another blogger today April from Wolfelicious! She is having her first linky party and I am super excited to join in on the fun! The topic for this one is Sight Words - which I believe ANY teacher can use (even for upper grades=vocabulary)!
I decided to bullet how I teach my sight words or as we call them in my class POPCORN words!
- Sight Word Chants- I don't know who created these chants, but I L.O.V.E love them! They are a great fun way to introduce them and it gives the kids something kinesthetic to do with it. Genius! The favorites in our room are marching them like soldiers and shooting them like a basketball! They love it when I call them "my little soldiers."
- White Boards- Keeping it simple is sometime best. I just call out a sight word and have the kids write them on their white board. I feel like if they can spell it, they will know it. It also gives them the ability to use it in a sentence when they know how to spell it.
- Popcorn Sentences- TW spreads popcorn word cards out like a card fan. Each student chooses a popcorn word. They then have the tell me the popcorn word and use it in a sentence.
- Around the World- This is a popcorn word game favorite in my class. The students are constantly asking if we can play it. Basically what happens is the first student stands up and goes to stand behind the next person. The teacher flashes the word and the two students compete to say the popcorn word first. The person who says it first moves to stand behind the next person. This works on automaticity of knowing their popcorn words.
- Roll The Word- Using a bread/meatloaf pan (dollar tree), a pre-made word mat, and a top or cotton ball students work on graphing the popcorn word.
Okay so these are just a few of the ideas that I have and the methods that I use to teach sight words. If you have any questions about any of these please let me know and I will a)provide a picture b)create a freebie to help you understand (if applicable)!
Anyways, I'm starving and dinner only has 8 more minutes so I'm going to go fix up the mashed potatoes to go on the Shepards Pie! Yummy!