Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What I'm Pinning Wednesday

As a kindergarten teacher we have so much to teach. Standards upon standards. It doesn't feel like the kindergarten I remember being in 19 years ago. I remember playing, and climbing on my teachers two-story reading nook to read a book or to do more playing. I remember going on nature walks and exploring with my five senses. But its not like that. As a kindergarten teacher, you know that. But if your like me, you long for those days that the kids can have fun without having to sit quietly and listen.  Those lessons when the kids can learn and play at the same time. At centers today I had a student make a reference to their center as "play." It made me feel good.... but at the same time I wanted them to be aware that they were "learning" not "playing." Do you ever feel like this?

So today I am going to share some of my favorite pins that show students learning through play... or game-like activities that encourage student learning.

Help the kids find out what it is like to break out of a cocoon with this activity!
What a fun way to practice measurement! I'm loving this Abraham Lincoln measurement from Doodle Bugs Teaching!
Practice sight words with fun crafts like these!

There are so many great ways to incorporate food into learning! For example, using oreos for phases of the moon or having an apple festival, or even sampling foods as part of a five sense exploration!


So my question for you, how do you encourage our students to learn through play?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments!!