Sunday, January 20, 2013

The knowledge behind a hug

This week we have been having awards ceremony (basically everyday because of weather) to award kids for their academic growth and to recognize those kids that have been our classroom heros because of great behavior.

Well on Thursday or Friday (I honestly can't remember which right now), happened to be 2nd grade awards. The kids in second grade are the kids that were in my first kindergarten class. While taking my current kinders to lunch I happened to run into two of my kinder moms from that year, both of which are probably 2 of my favorite moms from that year. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and care about most of my kinder parents, but these two moms (among a few other) have just made an impression on me.

One of these moms has her daughter in kindergarten now and I think we were both devestated when she didn't end up in my class. However, I suppose it was a good choice, because she loves her teacher and her teacher adores her!

ANYWAYS.... I'm getting way off topic.

Basically, after seeing and talking to both of these moms, they both gave me a huge hug and told me that it is always good to run into me.

I have always tried to be that teacher that goes out of my way to build relationships and I only hope that I will continue to be able to do this. I have gone to birthday parties, tumbling meets, and church events. At all of these events, not only were the kids happy to see me but the parents seemed thrilled too!

I love making people smile. It's part of who I am. I love building relationships that extend beyond the classroom walls. Now, I'm not going to say that I have made any friends that are parents... although I'm not against it. But I want to be that teacher that the kids remember long after they are through with their academic career.

I know I have several of those teachers. Mrs. Sissom, my kindergarten teacher. Mrs. Giles, my third grade teacher. Mrs. Hale, my 6th grade reading teacher. Mrs. Walls, my junior English teacher. 

And it is probably because of those aforementioned teachers that my love for knowledge has continued to grow.

So to all of those readers that are one of those teachers that are building relationships with their students and class families, I want you to know that you are amazing and appreciated.

I'm truly glad that Mrs. Amy and Mrs. Cindi were there that day and both gave me a hug, because I think that for just a moment I started doubting myself and if I was making any difference in their lives at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments!!